Saturday, February 9, 2008

Film: David Lynch Surreal and Seedy Side of Life

DAVID LYNCH & SURREALISM & THE SEEDY SIDE OF LIFE APOLLINAIRE'S POEM TWILIGHT


PHOTO FROM DAVID LYNCH'S SURREAL FILM "ERASERHEAD "(1978)
Posted by Hello

Twin Peaks - Cooper's Dream in the Red Lodge



"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable." - David Lynch

SCENE FROM DAVD LYNCH'S " TV SERIES TWIN PEAKS "(1990)
Posted by Hello
"Curtains are both hiding and revealing. Sometimes it's so beautiful that they're hiding, it gets your imagination going. But in the theatre, when the curtains open, you have this fantastic euphoria, that you're going to see something new, something will be revealed." DAVID LYNCH

Lost Highway-Andy's Party




POSTER FOR DAVID LYNCH'S FILM "LOST HIGHWAY"(1997)
Posted by Hello
" Film can do amazing things with abstraction, but it rarely gets a chance. People are treated like idiots, and people are not idiots." DAVID LYNCH

Blue Velvet -Candy Colored Clown




Some people just don't get David Lynch's films just a matter of temperment or sensibility it cann't be helped. Others just don't like his films . Some think they are too violent or nasty revealing the underbelly of our society. But that's ok. I love some of his films. When I first saw ERASER HEAD it blew me away. It was startling ,bizarre,shocking the baby grossed me out. But it kept me glued to the screen. Other films of his I thought were great include WILD AT HEART, BLUE VELVET & LOST HIGHWAY. At their best they are psychological puzzles but they are always interesting & intriguing. They are at times like watching a car crash you cann't look away.

And here's David Lynch on LOST HIGHWAY:

It's about a man in trouble...a psychogenic fugue is the type of trouble."
"And it's maybe beautifully uneasy."

"It's about a condition, a human sort of condition. How people can become in trouble, mentally."

"The film deals with time; it starts at one place and moves forward or backwards, or stands still, relatively speaking. But, time marches on and films compact time, or prolong time in different ways. There are sequences built with time in mind, as is the music."

"Lost Highway is not really a film about dreams. The film is a product of two years of work, and it has to be a certain way. It took a long time to be correct. It's a depressing thought to even try to put that into a sentence."

"Barry Gifford, wrote a book, called Night People. Two characters mention going down the lost highway, and when I read those words; lost, and highway, um, it made me dream, and it suggested possibilities and I told that to Barry and he said, "Well, let's write something." And, uh, that started the ball rolling."

"...and I said to Barry, "I love those two words together we should make something called Lost Highway. The phrase had a lot of potential for me. The unknown was suddenly pulling me in and I was ready to go into another world. It became about mood and those kinds of things that can only happen at night. It held promise and intrigue and mystery."

Just hearing or reading comments by David Lynch is entertaning in itself he speaks in such an elusive & at times enigmatic manner.

David Lynch On ERASERHEAD:

"The whole film is undercurrents of sort of subconscious ... You know, and it kind of wiggles around in there, and it's how it strikes each person. It definitely means something to me, but I don't want to to talk about that. It means other things to other people, and that's great."

"In Eraserhead, there are a lot of openings and you go into areas and it's all...There're sort of like rules you kind of go by to keep that feeling kind of open and I don't know, it's real important to it. It's more like a poem or a .... more abstract, even though it has a story. It's like an experience."

"Eraserhead was born in Philadelphia."

"It was a strange life. For the first time I really lived beneath the surface. I was never aware of anything normal. I was only aware of this world of fear and art. I lived inside that cocoon of fear."

"I had a very happy childhood. These things in Eraserhead come from somewhere unseen; it's not a surface kind of thing... If it's from my own life, I don't see it. It's from so far inside, hidden, that it can only come out in an idea, which kind of balloons out. I don't know where it comes from."

mainly from website
THE CITY OF ABSURDITY
www.thecityofabsurdity.com


Anyway so much for David Lynch:

And here’s a poem By Guillaume apollinaire:

Twilight


(Alcools: Crépuscule)


Brushed by the shadows of the dead

On the grass where day expires

Columbine strips bare admires

her body in the pond instead



A charlatan of twilight formed

Boasts of the tricks to be performed

The sky without a stain unmarred

Is studded with the milk-white stars



From the boards pale Harlequin

First salutes the spectators

Sorcerers from Bohemia

Fairies sundry enchanters


Having unhooked a star

He proffers it with outstretched hand

While with his feet a hanging man

Sounds the cymbals bar by bar



The blind man rocks a pretty child

The doe with all her fauns slips by

The dwarf observes with saddened pose

How Harlequin magically grows

(by Apollinaire)

See you next time for some notes on Ingmar Bergman,
GORD

No comments: